The Discipline of Physics, IIT Palakkad started functioning from August 2015 with an aim to train and support young Engineering undergraduate students in basic sciences. In July 2017, the Department started its dedicated PhD program and at present a total of 6 students are engaged in theoretical and experimental research. The number is expected to grow in the coming months with the newly joined faculty members.
Currently, broad field of research areas in Physics are
- Quantum information theory,
- Non Equilibrium quantum systems,
- Physics of soft materials: Theory and simulations,
- Plasmonic systems: Experiments and Numerical simulations,
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics : Magnetism and Superconductivity, 2D Materials,
- String theory and Quantum Field Theory.
Starting from July 2019, the department is starting a two year M. Sc. program in Physics.
Experimental and Computation Facilities: The Department has at present a teaching Physics Laboratory to cater the needs of undergraduate/graduate students and is equipped with experimental setups that can boast of the latest technology. In addition to this, for conducting advanced research IIT Palakkad has set-up different central facilities namely Chandra High Performance Computing Cluster, Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) and Central Micro Fabrication Facility (CMFF). Other Central facilities in Materials and Manufacturing, Data Mining are in the planning stage.
- Prof. P. B. Sunil Kumar
- Dr. Uma Divakaran
- Dr. Jayakumar Balakrishnan
- Dr. Prthvi Narayan P
- Dr. Soham Manni