The Discipline of Mathematics at IIT Palakkad is strongly committed to excellence in research and teaching. We envisage a period of fast growth leading to a strong and diverse Mathematics community at IIT Palakkad. The expertise of the faculties spread across pure and applied mathematics.
Faculty: Dr. C R Jayanarayanan, Dr. G. P. Balakumar, Dr. Lakshmi Sankar K, Dr. Sarath Sasi, Dr. M. Ashok Kumar, Dr. Arpan Kabiraj, Dr. Jaikrishnan J, Dr. Paragama Sarkar, Dr. Rohith Varma, Prof. S H Kulkarni
The discipline offers a doctoral research program from 2017 for students who would like to pursue their career in mathematics. Current expertise of the faculty members include Algebraic Geometry, Commutative Algebra, Functional Analysis, Differential Equations, Several Complex Variables, Low-dimensional Topology, Mathematical Statistics, Probability and Information Theory.
- The discipline started an MSc program in 2020. The curriculum for this program is very well-thought out and flexible, offering the students a wide-range of electives that will allow the student to specialise in an area of their choice.
- The discipline is a part of two interdisciplinary M.Tech programs and also offers several core and elective courses for the B.Tech programs of the institute.
- The discipline is also involved in developing mathematical talent in school children and coordinates the MATH CIRCLES program to nurture and encourage school children.
B.Tech (All branches): The mathematics department is actively involved in the B.Tech programs of the institute. Several core B.Tech mathematics courses like Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential equations are offered by the mathematics discipline. The discipline also offers courses such as Probability, Stochastic Process and Statistics, Algebra, Complex Variables, Numerical Analysis, and others that are indispensable tools in several areas of engineering. In addition, the discipline offers several master’s level courses as electives for higher semester B.Tech students.
M.Sc Mathematics: The MSc Mathematics program provides students with a strong mathematical foundation and also offers an opportunity to specialise in diverse areas such as pure mathematics, applied mathematics, data sciences and theoretical computer science. The curriculum has 12 core courses and 8 electives which gives the students plenty of freedom to focus on the areas of their interest. Selected students will also have the option to pursue a project in place of some of the electives, helping them to gain hands-on training in a specific area. It is believed that this curriculum will help graduates of this masters program to pursue careers in both academia and industry.
M.Tech Programs: The discipline is involved in two interdisciplinary programs: M.Tech in Computing and Mathematics and M.Tech in Data Science. Students who join these programs take several core master’s level courses offered by the mathematics discipline.
PhD: Students who pursue a PhD at IIT Palakkad get an opportunity to work in a wide range of fields in both pure and applied mathematics. The young and vibrant faculty have ongoing collaborations with renowned researchers both in India as well as abroad. This gives PhD students in the discipline ample scope to work with, and learn from, some of the foremost experts in the relevant fields. The discipline is very keen on having researchers in every major field of mathematics and are proactive to ensure that this is achieved in the near future.
- Upcoming Events : Next MSc webinar by Dr. Somnath Basu from IISER Kolkata scheduled for the third week of April.
- Past Events: MSc monthly webinar on March 16 given by Dr. R. Venkatesh from IISc Bangalore.