Ashok received his bachelor's and master's degrees in Mathematics from the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli, in 1999 and 2001 respectively. He passed the CSIR-UGC (NET) for lectureship in Mathematical Sciences in 2001 and started lecturing Mathematics in various educational institutions until December 2007. During this period he developed an interest in Applied Mathematics. He obtained the CSIR-UGC (NET) for JRF in December 2007 and joined for a Ph.D programme in the department of Electrical Communication Engineering of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, under the supervision of Prof. Rajesh Sundaresan. He completed his Ph.D in October 2014. Subsequently, he was a Visiting Scientist at the Stat-Math Unit of the Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore from December 2014 to May 2015 and a post-doctoral fellow at the department of Electrical Engineering of the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology from May 2015 to December 2015 under the mentorship of Prof. Igal Sason. He was with the discipline of Mathematics of IIT Indore from January 2016 to May 2018. He joined IIT Palakkad in June 2018.
Broadly I work at the intersection of information theory, statistics and probability
Some key words: measures of information, Renyi entropy, robust statistical inference, distance based inference, large deviations theory, maximum entropy, information geometry.
Information Geometry and Classical Cramér-Rao Type Inequalities (with KV Mishra), in handbook of Statistics Vol. 45
Are Guessing, Source Coding, and Tasks Partitioning Birds of a Feather? (with Albert Sunny, Ashish Thakre, Ashisha Kumar and G. Dinesh Manohar)
Projection Theorems and Estimating Equations for Power-Law Models (with Atin Gayen), accepted in Journal of Multivariate Analysis
Generalized Bayesian Cramér-Rao Inequality via Information Geometry of Relative α-Entropy (with KV Mishra) (Invited)
- Cramér-Rao Lower Bounds Arising from Generalized Csiszár Divergences (with KV Mishra)
- MA2040: Probability, Stochastic Processes and Statistics (July 2018, July 2019, January 2020, Feb-May 2021)
- MA2032: Numerical Analysis (January 2019)
- MA6001: Probability Theory (January 2020)
- MA5007: Probability & Statistics (Sep. 2020 - Jan. 2021, Aug-Dec 2021)
We are looking for well motivated PhD students in the areas of Mathematical Statistics, Information Theory, Information Geometry, and Probability.
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to get in touch with me by solving the problems (as many as possible) put up in this link and submit them (scanned copy of hand-written one or latexed one) by email to ashokm[at]iitpkd[dot]ac[dot]in.
(Remember that, it is not necessary that you should have answered the questions completely. You can submit partial solutions also. What we would like to see is your efforts to solve the problems.)
Interested candidates are also strongly encouraged to look at some or all of our recent works mentioned under 'Research' above to get an idea of the kind of works that we are doing.
1. Atin Gayen (since July 2016)
2. Satyajit Dhadumia (since August 2021)
1. Shree Ganesha Sharma M S (M.Tech Data Science, since June 2021)
2. Ajesh Mon R (M.Tech Data Science, since June 2021)
3. Gaurav Kandpal (M.Sc Math, since August 2021)
1. Vishnu Mohanan (Summer Intern, CUSAT, Kerala, June 2019)
2. Ashish Thakre (M.Sc. Mathematics at IIT Indore, May 2018)
Title of the thesis: A Unified Approach to Problems on Guessing, Source Coding and Encoding of Tasks
3. Shubham Thakur (Summer Intern, IIT Guwahati, June 2017)
4. Manikandan C. (June 2018 - October 2020)
SERB's VAJRA award jointly with Prof. Michel Broniatowski of UPMC, Paris, France (2017 - 2018 and 2020 - 2021.)
Travel grant from SERB for ISIT 2018.
Best paper award for Relative alpha-Entropy Minimizers Subject to Linear Statistical Constraints, appeared in the Proceedings of the 2015 National Conference on Communication (NCC 2015), held at IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India, during February - March 2015.