Ph. D. in Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India
M. Tech. (with Distinction) in Structural Engineering
National Institute of Technology Calicut, Kerala, India
B. Tech. (Honors) in Civil Engineering
N. S. S. Engineering College Palakkad, Calicut University, Kerala, India
- Ph. D thesis - Design of fibre reinforced concrete slabs-on-grade and pavements
- Sponsored projects -
Utilization of partially treated grey water and C&D waste for production of low-cost modular toilet units and other living units (Co-PI), at the GSCoE IIT Palakkad, 68.2 lakhs, 2 years, Date of commencement: 30-03-2022
Study of the deterioration mechanisms in glass textile reinforced concrete and improvement of its durability (as Co PI), 58.44 lakhs, DST SERB- CRG, Duration 3 years, Date of commencement: March 2020.
Development, Characterization and Prototype Application of High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete, PI, 19 Lakhs, DST WOS-A, Duration 3 years, completed on Sep 2018
Indo-Italian collaborative project titled “Study of Self-Healing Ability of Advanced Fibre Reinforced Cement Based Materials” within the Executive Program of Scientific and Technological Cooperation between Italian Republic and Republic of India
- List of research consultancy:
- Experimental investigation for determining drying shrinkage potential using area specific concrete compositions for flooring applications., for Floormart global, Project cost: 3.8 lakhs
- Design of FRC flooring for various consultants amounting upto 8 lakhs
- Performance of self-compacting concrete with materials from two geographical areas
- PERFORMANCE OF FIBRE REINFORCED CONCRETES WITH Fibraflex (FF20E0) FIBRES
- Design specifications for flooring of assembly plant for air generators: Nacelle factory
- Undergraduate courses taught
- Engineering Mechanics
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Drawing
- Fluid Mechanics
- Civil Engineering Materials and Cosntruction Technology
- Concrete technology
- Functional design of buildings
- Basic Civil Engineering
- Construction materials lab
- PG/Research level courses taught
- Advanced Concrete Technology
- Sustaianbility Assessment and Design
- Fatigue characterization of Fibre reinforced concrete
- Sustainability assessment and LCA
- Develoopment of sustaianable building materials
- Carbon utilsation in construction units
TitleList of PubilcationsDescription
Nayar S. K., and Gettu, R, Mechanistic – empirical design of fibre reinforced concrete (FRC) pavements using inelastic analysis, Sadhana - Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences, Springer Journal, 45, 7, 2020
Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2017) Design Methodology for Fibre Reinforced Concrete Slabs-on-grade Based on Inelastic Analysis, Indian Concrete Journal, Vol. 91, No. 3, pp 26-36
Nayar, S. K and Gettu, R., (2016) Benefits of Using Amorphous Metallic Fibres in Concrete Slabs-on-grade, RILEM Technical Letters, Open Access Journal of International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures, RILEM, [S. l.], Vol. 1, Dec. 2016, pp. 122-128. ISSN 2518-0231.
Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2015) Synergy in Toughness by Incorporating Amorphous Metal and Steel Fibres, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 112, No. 6, pp 821-827.
Nayar, S. K., Gettu, R., and Krishnan, S., (2014) Characterisation of the Toughness of Fibre Reinforced Concrete - Revisited in the Indian Context, Indian Concrete Journal, Vol. 88, No. 2, pp 8–23.
- Book chapter
Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2016), A Comprehensive Methodology for Design of Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements, fib Bulletin 79, Fibre-reinforced concrete: From design to structural applications, pp 321-330.
- Books edited
Santhanam, M., Gettu, R., Pillai, R. G., and Nayar, S. K., (2017), Advances in Construction Materials and Systems Vol. 1-4 (Proc. of International Conference ICACMS 2017), RILEM Publications S.A.R.L., Bagnueux, France, (2008)
ISBN: 978-2-35158-190-2 SET
e-ISBN: 978-2-35158-191-9 (online version)
ISBN:978-2-35158-193-3 Vol. 1 Keynotes, 192 p.
ISBN: 978-2-35158-194-0 Vol. 2 Concrete, 662 p.
ISBN:978-2-35158-195-7 Vol. 3 Concrete suite, 644 p.
ISBN:978-2-35158-196-4Vol. 4 Others, 744 p.
- Peer reviewed international conference articles (*Name indicates the presenter)
*Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2016), Assessment of a Design Methodology for FRC Slabs-on-grade, Proceedings of BEFIB 2016, Ninth RILEM International Conference on Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Vancouver. Canada, pp 1369-1384
*Gettu, R., and Nayar, S. K., (2015), A Design Methodology for Fibre Reinforced Concrete Slabs-on-grade, Proceedings of 27th Biennial National Conference of the Concrete Institute of Australia in conjunction with the 69th RILEM Week conference (Concrete 2015), Australia, pp 443-452.
*Nayar, S. K and Gettu, R., (2014), A Design Methodology for Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements and Slabs-on-grade, Proceedings of 10thfib International Ph. D symposium, Quebec, Canada, pp 51-56.
*Nayar, S. K and Gettu, R., (2014), A Comprehensive Methodology for the Design of Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements, Proceedings of Joint ACI-fib International workshop on FRC: From design to structural applications, FRC 2014, Montreal, Canada, pp 453-464.
Nayar, S. K., and *Gettu, R., (2012), On the Design of Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements and Slabs-on-grade, Proceedings of BEFIB 2012, Eighth RILEM International Conference on Fibre Reinforced Concrete,, Guimarães, Portugal, 11 p.
D’costa, G., *Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2011), Sustainability Assessment of Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements, Proceedings of the International conference on Structural engineering, Construction and Management, ICSECM 2011, Kandy, Sri Lanka, 15 p.
- Peer reviewed national conference articles
8. Premavathy, A., *Nayar, S. K., Jeyanthi. R, Ravindra Gettu, Manu Santhanam, Pascal Boustingorry and Shyam Sundar G., (2018) Assessment of a Methodology for Formulation of Robust Self-Compacting Concrete Mixes, Proceedings of the 3rd R.N. Raikar Memorial International Conference and Gettu-Kodur International Symposium on Advances in Science and Technology of Concrete, 14-15 December, Mumbai, India
*Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2015), A Methodology for Designing Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements, Proceedings of 3rd Conference of Transportation Research Group of India, CTRG 2015, December 2015, Awarded the Best Poster in the conference poster presentation section.
Nayar, S. K., and *Gettu, R., (2015), Performance of Concrete Reinforced with Combinations of Amorphous Metallic and Conventional Steel Fibres, Proceedings of 4th Asian conference on Ecstasy in concrete, ICI-ACECON 2015, October 2015, pp 21-28.
*Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2012), On the Design of Fibre Reinforced Concrete Slabs-on-Grade and Pavements, Proceedings of the Conference on Fibre Reinforced Concrete – Global Developments, FIBCON 2012, Nagpur, February, pp 85-92.
Nayar, S. K., and *Gettu, R., (2012), Characterization of Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Proceedings of the Conference on Fibre Reinforced Concrete – Global Developments, FIBCON 2012, Nagpur, pp 30-47.
*Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R., (2011), On the Toughness-Based Design of Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete Pavements, Proceedings of 1st Conference of the transportation research group of India, CTRG, Bangalore, India, 12 p.
Nayar, S. K., D’costa, G., and *Gettu, R., Special concretes for Pavement Construction, National Workshop on Sustainable pavements: Practices, Challenges and Direction, October 2010, IIT Madras.
*Nayar, S.K., Gettu, R., Aravind, T., Ajox, F. H., and Satheesh, B., Flexural Toughness Testing of Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Proceedings of Fourth CUSAT National Conference RACE 2010, India, pp 105-110. Awarded the best paper in the Structural Engineering section of the conference.
- Technical Committee Recommendations (as a committee member)
- ICI-TC/01.1, Test Methods for the Flexural Strength and Toughness Parameters of Fiber Reinforced Concrete, ICI Technical Committee Recommendation, Indian Concrete Institute Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2014, pp 39–43. – The test configuration, test procedure and reporting methods described in the guidelines are based on the characterization program done as part of my Ph.D dissertation.
- ICI-TC/01.2, Specifications for Reference Concretes to be Used for Evaluating Fibres for Concrete Reinforcement, ICI Technical Committee Recommendation.
- ICI-TC/01.3, Definitions, Specifications and Conformity Requirements for Steel Fibres to be Used as Concrete Reinforcement, ICI Technical Committee Recommendation.
- ICI-TC/01.4, Definitions, Specifications and Conformity Requirements for Polymeric Fibres to be Used as Concrete Reinforcement, ICI Technical Committee Recommendation.
TitleAwards and GrantsDescription
- Title of project: Development, Characterization and Prototype Application of High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete
- Funding amount: Rs. 17,92,000/-
- Funding agency: Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
- Duration of Project: 3 years
- Mentor: Prof. Ravindra Gettu
- Role: Principal Investigator
- Starting Year: 2015
- Indian National Academy of Engineers (INAE) Innovative Project Award (Doctoral Level) 2016.
- Indian Concrete Institute (ICI) (Chennai Centre) – UltraTech Award – 2016 for Outstanding Thesis in the ﬁeld of Concrete in Tamil Nadu (Category – Doctoral)
- Research grant from Department of Science and Technology (DST) under the Women Scientist Scheme (WOS-A) for a period of three years starting from August 2015.
Rasheed, P. A., Nayar, S. K., Barsoum, I., Alfantazi, AEnergies 15 (2022)Koorikkattil A, Nayar, S. K., and Veena VRoad Materials and Pavement Design (2022)Nayar, S. K., Premavathy, A., Manu Santhanam, Gettu, R., and Boustingorry, PIndian Concrete Journal 96 (4) 49-58 (2022)Nayar S. K and Gettu RSådhanå, Springerlink Journal 45 (19) 7p (2020)Premavathy, A., Nayar, S. K., Jeyanthi. R, Ravindra Gettu, Manu Santhanam, Pascal Boustingorry and Shyam Sundar GProceedings of the 3rd R.N. Raikar Memorial International Conference and Gettu-Kodur International Symposium on Advances in Science and Technology of Concrete (2018)Nayar, S. K., and Gettu, R.,Indian Concrete Journal 91 (3) 26-36 (2017)