Before joining IIT Palakkad as a faculty, Dr. Senthilkumar worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at University of Sharjah Since Feb 2014. Prior to that, he worked in Academia, Research and Industry at various capacities; he served as a Senior Lecturer in the School of Construction Economics and Management, under the Faculty of Engineering & the Built Environment at University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa; Senior lecturer at Caledonian College of Engineering, Muscat, Oman; Senior Project Officer at IIT Madras, also involved in Design Interface coordination at Delhi International Airport Limited project. He completed doctoral research in the area of Construction Engineering and Management from Indian Institute of Technology (Madras), India. His master degree is in Structural Engineering and the bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, both from Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai. At present, he teaches and conducts research in the area of Construction Engineering and Management. His specific research focus includes Design Management in Infrastructure Projects, Automation in Construction, Lean Construction and Policy Making in Infrastructure Developmental Projects. He has number of international journal and conference publications in the area of construction engineering and management. He is a member of various professional bodies around the world.
Planning Design Phases and Process Management
BIM and Lean Construction
Technology Adoption and Automation in Construction
Policy Making in Infrastructure Projects
CE4010-Estimation and Construction Management -2019, 2020, 2021
CE2330 - Building Materials and Construction -2019, 2020, 2021, (with Dr. Sunitha K Nayar)
CE5618 - Construction Methods and Equipment - 2020
CE5617- BIM for Construction Management -2021
CE5520 - Scheduling Techniques in Projects -2021
- Adeyemi Akintola, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, David Root, Oti A.H, (2021), ‘Distilling Agency in BIM- Induced Change in Work Practices’, Construction Innovation: Information, Process, Management, Vol. 21(3), pp- 490-522
- Nikunj Dhanani and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, (2021), ’Terrestrial Laser Scanner analytical modelling towards effective scan area planning for damage detection on structural members’, CIB International Conference on Smart Built Environment 2021 held on 14th December -15th December 2021.
- Jagannath Panda, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese, (2021), ’A real time optimization model for tower crane operation management at construction site’, Indian Lean Construction Conference 2021 (ILCC 2021) held between 1st to 4th December 2021
- Papareddy Dhayakar, Koshy Varghese and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, (2021) ’A study on the effectiveness of location-based management system over CPM in power transmission and distribution projects’, Indian Lean Construction Conference 2021 (ILCC 2021) held between 1st to 4th December 2021
- Abdulwahab Algeelani, Saleh Abu Dabous and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2020), Investigation of Project Delivery Risks in Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) Infrastructure Projects in UAE, Proceedings of ASET 2020, held at Dubai between 4th to 6th February 2020
- M. Affan Badar, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Zahraa A. Yousif Sani(2020), Centralized Versus Decentralized Sewage Treatment Plant in a Metropolitan City, Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Dubai, UAE, March 10-12, 2020, © IEOM Society International.
- Deena Badran, Radhi AlZubaidi, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, (2020), BIM based Risk Management for Design Bid Build (DBB) Design Process in the United Arab Emirates –A Conceptual Framework, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, Vol. 11(6), pp- 1339-1369
- Abdulaziz Aldowayan, F Diweiri, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2020), A review on the current status of Facility Management Practices in Building Industry and Prospective BIM intervention to Manage the Facilities Effectively during its service Life, Proceedings of the 5th NA International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Detroit, MI, USA, August 10-14, 2020, © IEOM Society International.
- Adeyemi Akintola, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, David Root (2019), Understanding BIM’s impact on professional work practices using activity theory, in Construction Management and Economics, 37(3), DOI 10.1080/01446193.2018.1559338 (2019)
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Alasdair Marshall, Gordian Udechukwu Ojiako and Chama Chansi (2019), Organisational learning in small and medium sized South African energy project organisations, in Management Research Review, Vol. 43(5)
- Deena Badran, Radhi AlZubaidi and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2019), Identification of Key Risks Impacting Project Completion, Time in UAE’s Building Projects- Towards Developing a BIM Solution, Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, November 26-28, 2019
- Hadif Hussain Al Suwaidi, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2019), Process Reengineering in Public Project- A Lean Process Management Perspective, Proceedings of Indian Lean Construction Conference - ILCC 2019 held between 14 to 16 of November 2019, at NICMAR Pune.
- Rami Al-Ruzouq, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Abdelrahman Abduelads, Saleh Abu Dabous, Geomatics for Economic Archaeological Documentation and Management (2018), in Applied Geomatics, 10(4), DOI: 10.1007/s12518-018-0227-1;
- L Maseko, D Root, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2018), Conceptual Framework for Collaborative Risk Management during the Design Phase of Green Building Projects using DSM, The 20th International DSM Conference, held between 15th October 2018- 17th October 2018, at Treiste, Italy, pp- 023-032.
- Ahmed Alshaaer, Saleh Abu Dabous, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2018), A Study on the Factors Affecting Masonry and Plaster Productivity in UAE Construction Industry, Proceedings of the International Conference on Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 2018 – ICCIE’2018, held between13-14th March, 2018 in Ras Al-Khaima UAE.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Abdulwahab A. Al-Geelani, Basil A. Ibrahim and Hadif H. AlSuwaidi (2018) Stakeholder’s Perception on PPP Project Risks in UAE Infrastructure Projects, in UAE Public Policy Forum 2018, held between 15-16th of Jan 2018, held in Dubai
- Adeyemi Akintola, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, David Root, New BIM Roles Legitimacy and changing power dynamics on BIM enabled projects, in ASCE Construction Engineering and Management Journal, 143(9), DOI is: 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001366 (2017)
- Akintola, A, Root, D and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, (2017) Key Constraints to Optimal and Widespread Implementation of BIM in the South African Construction Industry In: Chan, P W and Neilson, C J (Eds) Proceeding of the 33rd Annual ARCOM Conference, 4-6 September 2017, Cambridge, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 25-34
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, F Diweiri, N Al Suwaidi, (2017), Modelling process integration and its management–case of a public housing delivery organization in United Arab Emirates, MATEC Web of Conferences 120, 08013.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, (2017), An exploratory study on the building information modeling adoption in United Arab Emirates municipal projects-current status and challenges, MATEC Web of Conferences 120, 02015.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Khaled Hamad, Saleh Abu Dabous and Muamer Abuzwidah (2017), An Investigative Study on the Student Performance on Multiple Choice Exams with Multiple Versions in Engineering Economics Course in 8th International Forum on Engineering Education (IFEE2017), Sharjah UAE during April 18-21, 2017
- M Talha Junaid, Mohsin Siddique, and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2 017), Multiple Choice Versus Descriptive Exams for Direct Evaluation of Engineering Courses at University of Sharjah, in Proceedings of the joint 8th IFEE2017 and 3rd TSDIC2017 Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, April 18 – 20, 2017
2016 and Earlier
- Wortmann,A.E, D.S. Root and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2016) Building Information world and its applicability to the South African AEC sector: A critical review, 1st International UK BIM Academic Forum Conference hosted by Glasgow Caledonian University, on September 13-15, 2016.
- Ihsan Issa Ahmad Al Hosani and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2016), Identification of Factors Affecting Cost Overruns in UAE’s Road Projects, in UAE GSRC 2016, in UAE University, Al Ain, held between April 27-28, 2016.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Tarek Merabtene Mohsin Siddique (2016), Improving the Learning Experience of Engineering Students through Various Methods of Homework, in Quality Assurance in Engineering Education, Vol 150, pp-303-315.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Mohsin Siddique (2016),A Comparative Study Between the Structured and Ad-hoc Method of Student Feedback Mechanisms on the Lecturer and Course Evaluation, in Quality Assurance in Engineering Education 150, pp- 64-170
- Chamila Ramanayaga and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2015), Reflection on BIM Development Practices at the Pre-maturity, Procedia in Engineering 123, 462 – 470.
- Adeyemi Akintola, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, David Root (2015), Identification of Process, Team and Tool Dependencies in BIM Implementation using MDM – A Theoretical framework, 17th International DSM Conference, held between Nov-4 -6th, Fortwoth, USA.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Chamila Ramanayaga (2015) Developing a comprehensive mechanism to measure BIM readiness at the pre maturity, Creative Construction Conference 2015, Krakow, Poland, June 21-24 2015.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Saleh Abudabous,(2015), A Review on Information Interface Management in Construction Design Process–Importance, Challenges and Management Methods, 9th Built environment Conference, Durban, South Africa, 2-4th August 2015.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2015) Implementation challenges of Building Information Modelling in South African Architectural Firms, Journal of Construction, Vol8, No.2, 7-12.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam (2014), A Study on the various possible policy framework for the effective adoption of Building Information Modeling (BIM) in South African AEC sector Proceedings 8th Built Environment Conference, 27-29 July 2014, Durban, South Africa, ISBN 978-0-620-60356-0.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and K. Varghese, (2013) Case study based testing of design interface management system, ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering. 2013, Volume 29 (3).
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Bhavesh Mistry, Yachika Naidoo, Nomsa Khoza (2013), An investigation of Building Information Modelling (BIM) implementation and its effective adoption strategies in South African Architectural firms, Proceedings of 7th Built Environment Conference, 28th to 30th July 2013, Cape town, South Africa.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Shafee Buckus, (2013), A study on the factors influencing the Use and Productivity of precast concrete in the construction of high rise commercial building projects in Gauteng, 2nd International Conference on Infrastructure Development in Africa (ICIDA) Johannesburg, South Africa, 17-19 March 2013.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, T.Ismail, S.Skinner and M.Wadvalla,(2012), An Investigation on the Application of Information Management System(IMS) during the Construction Stage of Gauteng’s Construction Projects, Proceedings of 2nd NNMU Construction Management Conference, Port Elizabeth, South Africa 25nd – 27th November 2012.
- Luviwe Bikitsha, David Root, Xolani Nghona and Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, A Review of Small Contractor’s Sustainable Growth: Implication for Entrepreneurial Leadership Approach, Proceedings of Join CIB W070, W092 & TG72 International Conference: Delivering Value Through Community, Cape Town, South Africa 23rd – 25th January 2012.
- Ziyana Ali Al-Hinai, Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Wilfred Matipa., Sustaining the Profession in Sultanate of Oman, Proceedings of COBRA 2011 in Salford, UK, 12th - 13th September 2011.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Koshy Varghese, and Ajai Chandran.,(2010) A web-based system for design interface management of construction projects, Automation in Construction, 19(2), 197–212.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese.(2010), Analysis of Workflow on Design Projects in India, Journal of Design Management and Technology around the World, Vol. 5(3) 85-103. DOI:10.4237/gtp.v5i3.176.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese.(2009), Structured Methodology to Formulate Drawing Dependency Structure Matrix (DDSM) for Construction Projects, International Journal of Architectural Engineering and Design Management, Vol. 5(4) 225-248.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese., Drawing DSM (DDSM) implementation in Construction Design – Discussions on Applicability, Proceedings of The 11th International DSM Conference in Greenville, SC (USA) 12th – 13th October 2009
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, Koshy Varghese, and C Y Shivaji, achieving Lean Design Using Design Interface Management Tool, Proceedings of IGLC 17, Taipei Taiwan 13th – 15th July 2009.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese., Design Interface Management System (DIMS) for Construction Projects, The 10th International DSM Conference in Stockholm, Sweden 11th – 12th November 2008.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese., Organizational Structuring and Workflow of Design Projects – Analysis of Two Case Studies in India, Joint Conference & Workshop Design Management in the Architectural Engineering and Construction Sector, University of São Paulo, Brazil, 4-8 November 2008.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam and Koshy Varghese., Hierarchical Modeling of Design Information using Dependency Structure Matrix (DSM), Proceedings of 2007 ASCE Construction Research Congress, Grand Bahama Island, 06-08 May, 2007.
- Senthilkumar Venkatachalam, D.N.Chaudhuri and Koshy Varghese., Integrated Hierarchical Systems for Modelling Information Flow in Design Process using Dependency Structure Matrix (DSM), Proceedings of the World IT Conference for Design and Construction, INCITE /ITCSED2006, Vol –I, NewDelhi, India 15-17 November, 2006, pp 139-149.
- Dr. Chamila Ramanayaga, Project Title: A Comprehensive Mechanism to Measure BIM readiness and Awareness at Pre-Maturity: A Case of South Africa, Between 2013-2014. at University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
PhD/ MS Students (Completed)
- Dr. Adeyemi Akintola, PhD, Between 2013-2018 at University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Mr. Chamabondo Sophia Chanshi, MSc (by Research), Between 2011-2014 at University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Ms. Deena Badran, PhD, Between 2016-2020, at University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.
PhD/ MS Students (Ongoing)
- Mr. Nikunj Dhanani, MS Scholar from 2020, at IIT Palakkad
- Ms. Anchu Ajayakumar, PhD Scholar from 2021, at IIT Palakkad
- Ms. Vismaya, PhD Scholar from 2021, at IIT Palakkad
- Ms. Lungie Lorraine Dahlia Maseko, PhD, from 2017, at University of the Witwatersrand.
- Mr. Abdulaziz Fahad Ali Al Dowayan, PhD, from 2018, at University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.
Master’s degree (50-50) Taught Course-Research Students
- Shafee Buckes- 2013 at Wits
- Steven Sondashi- 2013 at Bath
- Ramantanha Mahapa -2014 at Wits
- Charles Japheth Kipyab Kiprotich -2014 at Wits
- Xolisa Mnyani-2014 at Wits
- Ohikhateme Adeoye- 2015 at Wits
- Raja Mohamed Khalfan Mohamed A. Al Naqbi -2015 at UoS
- Ihsan Issa Ahmad – 2016 at UoS
- Zhara Abbas- -2017 at UoS
- Ahmed AL-Shaaer-2018 at UoS
- Hadif Hussain Ibrahim Alkhadhar Alsuwaidi-2019 at UoS
- Abdulwahab Algeelani-2020 at UoS
- Jagannath Panda -2021 at IITM
- Papareddy Dhayakar -2021 at IITM