Assistant Professor (2017-present): Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad, Kerala, India
Postdoctoral research (2014-2017): Cornell University, New York, USA
Postdoctoral research (2013-2014): Columbia University, New York, USA
Ph.D. in Chemistry (2007-2012): University of Miami, Florida, USA
M.Sc. in Chemistry (2005-2007): Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India
B.Sc. in Chemistry (2002-2005): University of Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Visiting Research Experiences
Porel group is focused on the design, synthesis, and applications of novel classes of organic macromolecules. In contrast to the small molecules, macromolecules have some unique properties that make them perfect fit for various applications which are otherwise challenging to meet. Synthesis of macromolecules in its absolutely pure form is still difficult to achieve. While the current trend in this field is focused on solving this issue, immediate next goal is how to get a hand on controlling the properties of the macromolecules which is crucial for making them an efficient candidate for a given application. The fact that properties of a macromolecule are not predictable from the properties of the building blocks adds up another dimension to the complexity of this field. Our group aims to work on developing a novel strategy to synthesize a new class of organic macromolecules and most importantly modulate their properties by the custom synthesis of building blocks and tuning organic reactions. The novelty of our system is that we can precisely control the arrangement of multiple functional groups that leads to its structure, properties, and function. Taking together Porel group is ambitious to develop a platform for the rapid and economic production of manmade materials with tunable properties for enormous applications from material to biomedical science. Welcome to the fun ride to discover novel organic materials with innovative properties.
▪ B. Tech. course at IIT Palakkad:
CY1020: Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Organic Reactions
CY1010: Theoretical and Inorganic Chemistry
BT2010: Life Science
CY1030: Chemistry LabI
CE3025: Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering Laboratory
▪ M. Sc. course at IIT Palakkad:
CY5013: Synthetic Approaches in Chemistry
CY5008: Reaction Mechanisms
CY5104: Structure, Energetics and Dynamics Lab-1
CY5101: Structure, Energetics and Dynamics Lab-3
▪ Ph.D. course at IIT Palakkad:
CY6001: Physical Methods in Chemistry
1. Ms. Liya T, M.Sc. in Chemistry from University Of Calicut
2. Ms. Anna Jose, M. Sc. in Chemistry from National Institutes of Technology Calicut
Dr. Nanjan Pandurangan, Ph.D. from Amrita School of Biotechnology, Amrita University
Dr. Subha Rao Cheekatla, PhD from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Project stuff (JRF):
Ms. Gayathri P. M. Sc. from Central University of Tamil Nadu
M. Sc. student:
1. Arpita Panda
2. Tripti Kundu
M. Sc. project student:
1. Mr. Abra Mathew, M.Sc. in Chemistry from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam,Kerala
2. Ms. Maya Manoharan, M.Sc. in Chemistry from Calicut University, Kerala
1. Mr. Vibhav Damodar, M. Sc. in Chemistry National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Surathkal
1. Title: Design and Synthesis of a Novel Class of Sequence-defined Macrocycles with Modular Post-synthetic Modification for Material and Biomedical Applications
Funding source: Core Research Grant (CRG), DST, India
Amount: 53.65 lakhs
2. Title: Study of the interaction between synthetic sequence-defined macromolecules and lipid-membrane towards developing antibacterial and anticancer drug
Funding source: MHRD-STARS, India
Amount: 99.7 lakhs
Status: 2020-2023, ongoing
3. Title: A Novel Class of Functionally Controlled Macromolecules with Tunable Properties for Material and Biomedical Applications
Funding source: Ramanujan Fellowship, DST-SERB, India
Amount: 38 lakhs
Status: 2018-2023, ongoing
Selected Publications and Patent
From IIT Palakkad
1. Jose, A.; Pandurangan, N.; Porel, M.*; Sequence-defined oligomer as a modular platform for selective sub-picomolar detection and removal of Hg2+, Polym. Chem. 2021, Advanced article
2. Nanjan, P.; Jose, A.; Thurakkal, L. Porel, M.* A Scalable, Support-free, Iterative Strategy for Multi-functional Sequence-defined Dithiocarbamate Polymer, Macromolecules, 2020, 53, 11019-11026
3. Thurakkal, L.#; Singh, S.#; Roy, R.; Kar, P.; Sadhukhan, S.*; Porel, M.* An in-silico study on selected organosulfur compounds as potential drugs for SARS-CoV-2 infection via binding multiple drug targets, Chem. Phys. Lett. 2020, 763, 138193 (# Both authors contributed equally)
4. Nanjan, P.; Porel, M.* Sequence-defined Non-natural Polymers: Synthesis and Applications, Polym. Chem., 2019, 5406-5424
Porel, M.; Pandurangan, N.; A Novel Class of Sequence-Defined Polymers and Preparation Methods Thereoff, 2020, Indian and US Patent filed, Ref. No. 202041001701
Before joining IIT Palakkad
1. Porel, M.; Thornlow, D. N.; Phan; N. N.; Alabi, C. A. Sequence-defined bioactive macrocycles via an acid catalyzed cascade reaction. Nat. Chem. 2016, 8, 590-596. (Highlighted on Medicinet, Phys. Org, Technology Org, Cornell Chronicle, Bioportfolio, Health)
2. Porel, M.; Thornlow, D. N.; Artim, C.; Alabi, C. A. Sequence defined backbone modifications regulate antibacterial activity of oligoTEAs, ACS Chem. Biol. 2017, 12, 715-723.
4. Porel, M.; Alabi, C. A. Sequence-defined polymers via orthogonal allyl acrylamide building blocks. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 13162-13165.
5. Porel, M.; Ramalingam, V.; Domaradzki, M. E.; Young, V. G.; Ramamurthy, V; Muthyala, R. S. Chloride sensing via suppression of excited state intramolecular proton transfer in squaramides. Chem. Commun. 2013, 49, 1633-1635.
6. Porel, M.; Chi-Hung, C.; Burda, C.; Ramamurthy, V. Ultrafast photoinduced electron transfer between an incarcerated donor and a free acceptor in aqueous solution. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 14718-14721.
Alabi, C. A.; Porel, M. Sequence-defined polymers and methods for production of sequence-defined polymers, 2016, US Patent Application No. US 20160075831 A1 20160317.
Honors and Awards
1. ‘Early Career Award', International Conference on Smart Materials for Sustainable Technology
(SMST-2020), organized by The Society for Interdisciplinary Research in Materials and Biology
(SIRMB) with a focus on fundamentals and applications in healthcare and energy, 2020
2. 'Ramanujan Fellowship', Science and Engineering Research Board, 2018
3. ‘2012 Gerhard Closs Student Award’, Inter-American Photochemical Society (IAPS), Florida, USA, 2013.
4. ‘College of Arts & Sciences Summer Graduate Research Fellowship Award’, University of Miami, Florida, USA, 2010
5. 'Stanley, Sam and Clara Schreiber Scholarship’, University of Miami, Florida, USA, 2010.
6. 'First Publication Award’ University of Miami, Florida, USA, 2009.
Selected Invited presentations
1. International Conference on Smart Materials for Sustainable Technology, Goa, India, Feb 2020.
2. '252nd American Chemical Society National Meeting', Philadelphia, USA; Aug 2016
3. 'Young Investigator Meeting (YIM-Boston)', Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, USA; Sept 2015
4. 'Cornell Center for Technology', Cornell University, New York, USA; Oct 2015
5. 'Inter-American Photochemical Society', Florida, USA; Jan 2013
6. 'Gordon Research Conferences (Photochemistry)', Massachusetts, USA; Jul 2011
7. 'Inter-American Photochemical Society 20th Winter Conference', Florida, USA; Jan 2010