2000 - 2003 BSc (Chemistry) Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, India.
2003 - 2005 MSc (Chemistry) Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, India
2005 - 2009 Ph.D Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India.
2009 - 2011 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Toronto, Canada.
2011 - 2013 Visiting Research Associate, International Centre for Materials Science, Bangalore, India.
2013 - 2017 Ramanujan Fellow (Scientist), CSIR - National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
2017 - 2021 Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad, India.
2021 - Present Associate Professor of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad, India.
2021 - Head of the Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad, India.
Memberships in Professional Bodies
Honorary faculty, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, New Delhi.
Life member, Catalysis Society of India.
Life member, Chemical Research Society of India.
Member, Indian National Young Academy of Sciences, New Delhi
Ontario Postdoctoral Fellowship from Government of Ontario, Canada.
Ramanujan Fellowship from Government of India.
Details of Research Projects
Design of new heterogeneous catalysts to improve the selectivity of high-temperature, gas-phase reactions, SERB, 2013 - 2018, INR 86.81 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Completed
- CO2 fixation for direct glycerol carbonate synthesis over heterogeneous co-operative catalysts, GAIL, 2014-2016, INR 190.25 Lakhs. (Role Co-PI). Status: Completed
- Thermal decomposition of inorganic carbonates containing transition metal ions in H2 to produce higher hydrocarbons and methanol selectively, SERB, 2014 - 2017, INR 23.4 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Completed.
- New chemical synthesis routes for nanostructured transition metal carbide catalysts using organic-inorganic hybrid precursors, BRNS, 2015 - 2017, INR 21.3 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Transferred.
- Synthesis, Characterisation and Evaluation of Polymer-TiO2 nanocomposite for photocatalytic oxidation of ethylene, DFRL, 2019 - 2021, INR 9.45 lakhs (Role PI) Completed.
- Isolated Transition Metal Atoms on Defect-Engineered Graphene: Synthesis and Catalytic Oxidation of Indoor Volatile Organic Compounds, SERB-CRG, 2019 - 2022, INR 37 Lakhs (Role PI) Ongoing.
- Testing of porous transition metal oxides catalysts for the thermal oxidation of volatile organic compounds, KINFRA - CSR, 2021 - 2022, INR 3.52 lakhs (Role PI), Completed.
Awards & Recognitions
INSA Medal for Young Scientists 2017 (Chemical Sciences) from Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
Selected as a member of Indian National Young Academy of Sciences, New Delhi (2019 - 2024).
- Department of Chemistry, IISER Bhopal, March, 2016.
- Chemical Frontiers - 2017 (Organized by Sheiq Saqr Laboratory, ICMS, Bangalore & IIT Bombay), August 2017.
- Department of Chemistry, IIT Bombay, August 2017.
- HEAM Scientist 2018 (Hydrogen Energy and Advanced Materials), University of Kerala, March 2018.
- National Conference on Challenges in Energy and Environmental Applications, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode, March 2018.
- Emerging Frontiers in Chemical Sciences, Farook College, Kozhikode, November 2018.
National Seminar on the Role of Chemistry in Sustainable Rural Development, Kongunadu Arts & Science College, Coimbatore, February 2020.
Nanomaterials for Clean Energy and Environmental Applications (STTP - AICTE), Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering and Technology, Pollachi, November 2020.
Alumni lecture on CPMU Silver Jubilee Day, JNCASR, December 2020.
National Webinar on Role of Chemistry in the Industrial Development of India RCIDI-2021 to celebrate the 127th birth anniversary of Sir Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar, Institute of Science, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, February 2021.
Invited talk at SRM University, Sikkim campus, July 2021.
Invited talk at International Symposium on Materials Chemistry from Fundamentals to Translational Research at SRM Institute of Science and Technology, March 2022.
Invited talk at ChemCatCon 2.0 organized by IIT Gandhinagar, May 2022.
Invited talk at The International Conference on Beyond Fossil Fuels: The Future of Alternative Energy Technologies organized by IIT (BHU), Varanasi, July 2022.
- Title: Fine-tuning the Fe based core-shell nanocatalyst for efficient CO2 hydrogenation, S. Gupta, V. K. Jain and D. Jagadeesan, Energy Innovations - Today & Tomorrow, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited - Green R&D Centre, Bangalore, 2016.
- Title: Hydrogenation of inorganic carbonates - A potential route to recycle carbon, Workshop on Frontiers in Chemistry - From Molecules to Materials, D. Jagadeesan, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, February 2016.
- Title: Fe nanoparticles supported on graphene - Probing the active site inefficient dehydrogenation reactions, G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan and E. Balaraman, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Magnetic nanoparticles as spacers for tunable enhancements in surface plasmon-coupled emission, S. Venkatesh, D. Vernekar, D. Jagadeesan and R. Sai Sathish, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Fe3O4@carbon core-shell nanoparticles for selective hydrogenation of CO2 at ambient pressure, V. K. Jain, S. Gupta and D. Jagadeesan, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Metal Oxyhydroxides for efficient acid-base tandem reactions, D. Vernekar and D. Jagadeesan, International Conference on Frontiers in Applied Chemistry, 2016.
- Title: Novel solution processes for advanced materials, D. Nagaraju, S. Gupta, D. Jagadeesan and S.B. Ogale, 9th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (Materials Research Society - Singapore), June 2017.
- Highly reactive CuO for the hydrogenation of nitroarenes by using hydrazine, K. Rajendran, N. Pandurangan and D. Jagadeesan UK Catalysis Conference 2021 January 2021. Won the best poster prize, RSC Advances prize.
- Highly reactive CuO/CaO solid reagent for rapid and selective reduction of nitro-N-heterocycles K. Rajendran, M. Roshni, N. Pandurangan, B. D. Krishnan and D. Jagadeesan* 10th anniversary of Catalysis Science and Technology sponsored by RSC, November 2021.
- Catalytic activity of Cu doped TiO2 for thermal oxidation of ethylene K. Rajendran, M. Sharma, A. Jaison, A. D. Tiwari and D. Jagadeesan* The 9th Tokyo Conference on Advanced Catalytic Science and Technology, June 2022, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Catalytic oxidation of ethylene by iron copper mixed metal oxide nanoparticles M. Roshni, A. Jaison and D. Jagadeesan* International Conference on Contemporary Catalysis, Energy and Sustainability (ICCC-2022) MG University, Kottayam.
- Delivered a Remote Area Lecture sponsored by INSA New Delhi at Government Tribal Residential High School, Kargudi, Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu on November 22, 2019.
“Let's talk Chemistry!” A Lecture-demo for X and XI class girl students of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya and Kendriya Vidyalaya schools in Palakkad selected under the Vigyan Jyoti program of DST (2020).
Theoretical and Inorganic Chemistry for B.Tech CY 1010
Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Organic Reactions for B.Tech CY 1020
Experimental Lab course for B.Tech CY 1030
Structure and Properties of Molecules CY 5009
Synthesis Energetics and Dynamics Laboratory - I
Chemistry of Materials CY 5002
Synthesis Energetics and Dynamics Laboratory - II
Chemistry of Mixing, Separation and analysis CY 5603
Current Ph.D Students
1. Ms. Jiji M (M.Sc, Kannur University, Registered for part-time Ph.D. in 2017)
2. Mr. Rajendran (M.Sc, The Gandhigram Rural Institute for full-time Ph.D. in 2018)
3. Ms. M. Roshni (M.Sc, Madras University for full time Ph.D in 2020)
4. Ms. Ankitha Menon (M.Sc, CUSAT for full time Ph.D in 2022)
5. Mr. Deepraj Pandit (MS, IISER Pune for full time Ph.D in 2022)
6. Ms. Isha Goyal (M.Tech, NIT Kurukshetra as an external Ph.D scholar with CSIR-CSIO in 2021)
7. Ms. Lakshmi Panicker (M.Sc, University of Calicut for full time Ph.D jointly with Dr. Yugender Goud in 2022)
1. Mr. Akash Singh (SERB-CRG/2020)
Dr. Garima Jaiswal (2014 - 19) Transition metal based nanocatalysts for (de)-hydrogenation reactions (CSIR NCL)
Dr. Sharad Gupta (2015 - 20) Exploring Metal Oxide Nanostructures for CO2 Hydrogenation (CSIR NCL)
Dr. Dnyanesh Vernekar (2015 - 20) Reactive Metal Oxyhydroxides for Tandem Organic Transformations (CSIR NCL)
D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy, C. N. R. Rao Use of amorphous carbon nanotube brushes as templates to fabricate GaN nanotubes brushes and related materials J. Phys. Chem. C 2007, 111, 510-513.
D. Jagadeesan, C. Deepak, S. Kavitha, M. S. Inamdar, M. Eswaramoorthy, Carbon spheres assisted synthesis of porous bioactive glass containing hydroxycarbonate apatite nanocrystals: A material with high in vitro bioactivity J. Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112, 7379-7384.
K. Raidongia, D. Jagadeesan, M. Upadhyay-Kahalay, U. V. Waghmare, S. K. Pati, M. Eswaramoorthy, C. N. R. Rao Synthesis, Structure and Properties of homogeneous BC4N nanotube brushes J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 83–90.
B. R. Selvi,† D. Jagadeesan,† G. Nagshankar, B. S. Suma, M. Arif, K. Balasubramanyam, M. Eswaramoorthy, T. K. Kundu Intrinsically fluorescent carbon nanospheres as nucleus targeting vector: Delivery of membrane impermeable molecule to modulate gene expressions in vivo Highlighted in Nature India Nano Lett. 2008, 8, 3182-3188.
D. Jagadeesan, U. Mansoori, P. Mandal, A. Sundaresan, M. Eswaramoorthy Hollow spheres to nanocups: Tuning the morphology and the magnetic properties of α-Fe2O3 nanostructures, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 7685-7688.
S. Pal, D. Jagadeesan, K. L. Gurunatha, M. Eswaramoorthy, T. Maji Construction of bi-functional inorganic-organic hybrid nanocomposites J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 5448– 5451.
D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy, C. N. R. Rao, Investigations on the conversion of inorganic carbonates to methane ChemSusChem 2009, 9, 878-882.
P. Chaturbedy, D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy, pH sensitive breathing of clay sheets in the polymer matrix ACS Nano 2010, 4, 5921-5929.
D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy Functionalised carbon nanomaterials derived from carbohydrates Chem. Asian J 2010, 5, 232-243.
J. I. Park, D. Jagadeesan, R. Williams, W. Oakden, S. Chung, G. Stanisz, E. Kumacheva Microbubbles loaded with nanoparticles: A route to multiple imaging modalities ACS Nano 2010, 4, 6579-6586
K. K. R. Datta, D. Jagadeesan, C. Kulkarni, A. Kamath, R. Datta, M. Eswaramoorthy Observation of pore-switching behaviour in porous layered carbon through mesoscale order-disorder transformation Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 3929-3933.
D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy Chapter 12, Nanobiomaterials for therapeutic drug delivery CRC Nanobiomaterials Handbook, Taylor & Francis Publishers 2011, ISBN 978-1-4200-9466-4
N. Kumar,† D. Jagadeesan,† P. B. Pillai, M. Checko, A. Sundaresan, M. Eswaramoorthy Ferromagnetism in hollow spheres of non-magnetic inorganic materials Chem. Phys. Lett. 2011, 504, 189-192.
D. Jagadeesan, I. Nasimova, I. Gourevich, S. Starodubtsev, E. Kumacheva Microgels for the encapsulation and stimulus-responsive release of molecules with distinct polarities Macromol. Biosci. 2011, 11, 889 - 896.
W. Li, K. Liu, R. Simms, J. Greener, D. Jagadeesan, S. Sascha, A. Guenther, E. Kumacheva A microfluidic study of fast gas-liquid reactions J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 3127-3133.
B. R. Selvi, S. Chatterjee, D. Jagadeesan, P. Chathurbedy, B. S. Suma, M. Eswaramoorthy, T. K. Kundu ATP driven clathrin dependent entry of carbon nanospheres prefer cells with glucose receptors J. Nanobiotech. 2012, 10:35, DOI:10.1186/1477-3155-10-35.
D. Voicu, C. Scholl, W. Li, D. Jagadeesan, I. Nasimova, J. Greener, E. Kumacheva Kinetics of multicomponent polymerization reactions studied in a microfluidic format ACS Macromolecules 2012, 45, 4469–4475.
D. Jagadeesan, Y. Sundarayya, G. Madras, C. N. R. Rao Direct conversion of inorganic carbonates to C1 – C3 hydrocarbons RSC Adv. 2013, 3, 7224-7229.
D. Vernekar, D. Jagadeesan* Tunable acid-base bifunctional catalytic property of FeOOH in an orthogonal tandem reaction Catal. Sci. Tech. 2015, 5, 4029-4038.
D. Jagadeesan*, B. Joshi, P. Parameswaran Chemical utilization of CO2 – A challenge for the sustainable world Resonance – J. Sci. Edu. 2015, 20, 165–176.
S. Gupta, C. P. Vinod, D. Jagadeesan* Preparation of mesoporous titanosilicate with isolated Ti active centers for cyclohexene oxidation RSC Adv. 2015, 5, 92371-92377.
G. Jaiswal, V. Landge, D. Jagadeesan,* E. Balaraman* Sustainable Iron-catalyzed direct imine formation by acceptorless dehydrogenative coupling of alcohols with amines Green Chem. 2016, 18, 3232-3238.
D. Jagadeesan* Multifunctional nanocatalysts for tandem reactions – A leap toward sustainability Appl. Catal. A: Gen. 2016, 511, 59-77.
S. Venkatesh, D. Vernekar, G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan*, R. Sai Sathish* Earth abundant Iron-rich N-doped graphene based waveguides and cavity materials for surface plasmon-coupled emission enhancements ACS App. Mater. Inter. 2016, 8, 12324-12329.
S. Gupta, V. K. Jain, D. Jagadeesan* Fine tuning the composition and nanostructure of Fe-based core-shell nanocatalyst for efficient CO2 hydrogenation ChemNanoMat 2016, 2, 989-996.
S. Ratha, D. Vernekar, K. Sivaneri, D. Jagadeesan,* C. S. Rout* Iron-carbon nanocomposite as environmentally benign electrode for supercapacitor applications J. Solid State Electrochem. 2017, 21, 6, 1665-1674.
G. Jaiswal, V. Landge, D. Jagadeesan,* E. Balaraman* Iron based heterogeneous catalysts for acceptorless dehydrogenation Nat. Commun. 2017, 8:2147, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-01603-3
D. Nagaraju*, S. Gupta, D. Kumar, C. Jijil, S. Bhat, D. Jagadeesan,* S. B. Ogale* Room temperature activation of CO2 by dual defect stabilized nanoscale haematite: Concurrent role of Fe and O vacancies ACS Omega 2017, 2, 8407 - 8413.
D. Jagadeesan*, D. Vernekar, S. Gupta, G. Jaiswal New opportunities in heterogeneous catalysis Proc. Ind. Nat. Sci. Acad. (Invited Article) 2019, 85, 24 - 41.
D. Vernekar, S. Rath, C. V. Rode, D. Jagadeesan* Efficient bifunctional reactivity of K-doped CrO(OH) nanosheets: Exploiting the combined role of Cr(III) and surface -OH in tandem catalysis Cat. Sci.Tech. 2019, 9, 1154 - 1164 10.1039/C8CY02345J.
D. Vernekar, S. S. Sakate, C. V. Rode, D. Jagadeesan* Water enhanced surface basicity in FeO(OH) for the synthesis of pseudoionones and their analogues J. Catalysis 2019, 378, 80 - 89.
K. Rajendran, N. Pandu, C. P. Vinod, T. S. Khan, S. Gupta,* A. Haider and D. Jagadeesan* CuO as a reactive and reusable reagent for the hydrogenation of nitroarenes App. Cat. B: Environmental 2021, 297, 120417 - 120446.
D. Vernekar,* M. Dayyan, S. Ratha, C. V. Rode, A. Haider, T. S. Khan* and D. Jagadeesan* Direct Oxidation of Cyclohexane to Adipic Acid by WFeCoO(OH) Catalyst: Role of Brønsted Acidity and Oxygen Vacancies ACS Catalysis 2021, 11, 10754 - 10766.
K. Bagawan, M. Roshni, D. Jagadeesan* An overview of Volatile Organic Compound Resonance - J. Sci. Edu. 2021 accepted.
K.Rajendran, S. Ananthu, N. Pandurangan, D. Krishnan, S. Shanmugaraju* and D. Jagadeesan* CuO/CaO mediated synthesis of amino-1,8-naphthalimides from the nitro analogues Results in Chem. 2022, 4, 100430.
K. Rajendran, S. Akash, M. Roshni, N. Pandurangan and D. Jagadeesan* CuO/CaO as a solid reducing reagent for nitroarenes: Combined effect of oxygen vacancies and surface basicity Proc. Ind. Nat. Sci. Acad. (INYAS Special Issue) 2022 accepted
- Intrinsically fluorescent carbon nanospheres and a process thereof. R. Selvi, D. Jagadeesan, T. K. Kundu and M. Eswaramoorthy, US Patent No. 9,034,387 Other Patent publication numbers: WO2009044410, EP2205225.
- Magnetically separable Fe based heterogeneous catalysts for dehydrogenation of alcohols. G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan, S. P. Borikar and E. Balaraman. Provisional application filed: 1494/DEL/2015 dated 26.5.2015.
- Dehydrogenation of amines to imines and N-heterocylces with liberation of molecular hydrogen using heterogeneous Fe catalyst . G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan, S. P. Borikar and E. Balaraman. Provisional application filed: US 15/576,903 dated 11.12.2015.
- The process of making amino-heterocycles from nitro-heterocycles using non-noble metal catalysts, D. Jagadeesan, K. Rajendran, 202141037847, IPO filed