2000 - 2003 BSc (Chemistry) Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, India.
2003 - 2005 MSc (Chemistry) Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, India
2005 - 2009 Ph.D Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India.
2009 - 2011 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Toronto, Canada.
2011 - 2013 Visiting Research Associate, International Centre for Materials Science, Bangalore, India.
2013 - 2017 Ramanujan Fellow (Scientist), CSIR - National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
2017 Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad, India.
Memberships in Professional Bodies
Honorary faculty, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, New Delhi.
Life member, Catalysis Society of India.
Life member, Chemical Research Society of India.
Ontario Postdoctoral Fellowship from Government of Ontario, Canada.
Ramanujan Fellowship from Government of India.
Details of Research Projects
- Design of new heterogeneous catalysts to improve the selectivity of high-temperature, gas-phase reactions, SERB, 2013 - 2018, INR 86.81 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Completed
- CO2 fixation for direct glycerol carbonate synthesis over heterogeneous co-operative catalysts, GAIL, 2014-2016, INR 190.25 Lakhs. (Role Co-PI). Status: Completed
- Thermal decomposition of inorganic carbonates containing transition metal ions in H2 to produce higher hydrocarbons and methanol selectively, SERB, 2014 - 2017, INR 23.4 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Completed.
- New chemical synthesis routes for nanostructured transition metal carbide catalysts using organic-inorganic hybrid precursors, BRNS, 2015 - 2017, INR 21.3 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Transferred.
- Synthesis, Characterisation and Evaluation of Polymer-TiO2 nanocomposite for photocatalytic oxidation of ethylene, DFRL, 2019 - 2021, INR 9.45 lakhs (Role PI) Ongoing.
- Isolated Transition Metal Atoms on Defect-Engineered Graphene: Synthesis and Catalytic Oxidation of Indoor Volatile Organic Compounds, SERB-CRG, 2019 - 2022, INR 37 Lakhs (Role PI) Ongoing.
Awards & Recognitions
INSA Medal for Young Scientists 2017 (Chemical Sciences) from Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
Selected as a member of Indian National Young Academy of Sciences, New Delhi (2019 - 2024).
- Department of Chemistry, IISER Bhopal, March, 2016.
- Chemical Frontiers - 2017 (Organized by Sheiq Saqr Laboratory, ICMS, Bangalore & IIT Bombay), August 2017.
- Department of Chemistry, IIT Bombay, August 2017.
- HEAM Scientist 2018 (Hydrogen Energy and Advanced Materials), University of Kerala, March 2018.
- National Conference on Challenges in Energy and Environmental Applications, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode, March 2018.
- Emerging Frontiers in Chemical Sciences, Farook College, Kozhikode, November 2018.
- Title: Fine-tuning the Fe based core-shell nanocatalyst for efficient CO2 hydrogenation, S. Gupta, V. K. Jain and D. Jagadeesan, Energy Innovations - Today & Tomorrow, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited - Green R&D Centre, Bangalore, 2016.
- Title: Hydrogenation of inorganic carbonates - A potential route to recycle carbon, Workshop on Frontiers in Chemistry - From Molecules to Materials, D. Jagadeesan, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, February 2016.
- Title: Fe nanoparticles supported on graphene - Probing the active site inefficient dehydrogenation reactions, G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan and E. Balaraman, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Magnetic nanoparticles as spacers for tunable enhancements in surface plasmon-coupled emission, S. Venkatesh, D. Vernekar, D. Jagadeesan and R. Sai Sathish, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Fe3O4@carbon core-shell nanoparticles for selective hydrogenation of CO2 at ambient pressure, V. K. Jain, S. Gupta and D. Jagadeesan, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Metal Oxyhydroxides for efficient acid-base tandem reactions, D. Vernekar and D. Jagadeesan, International Conference on Frontiers in Applied Chemistry, 2016.
- Title: Novel solution processes for advanced materials, D. Nagaraju, S. Gupta, D. Jagadeesan and S.B. Ogale, 9th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (Materials Research Society - Singapore), June 2017.
- Highly reactive CuO for the hydrogenation of nitroarenes by using hydrazine, K. Rajendran, N. Pandurangan and D. Jagadeesan UK Catalysis Conference 2021 January 2021. Won the best poster prize, RSC Advances prize.
- Delivered a Remote Area Lecture sponsored by INSA New Delhi at Government Tribal Residential High School, Kargudi, Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu on November 22, 2019.
“Let's talk Chemistry!” A Lecture-demo for X and XI class girl students of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya and Kendriya Vidyalaya schools in Palakkad selected under the Vigyan Jyoti program of DST (2020).
Theoretical and Inorganic Chemistry for B.Tech CY 1010
Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Organic Reactions for B.Tech CY 1020
Experimental Lab course for B.Tech CY 1030
Physical Methods in Chemistry for Ph.D CY 6001
Structure and Properties of Molecules CY 5009
Synthesis Energetics and Dynamics Laboratory - I
Chemistry of Materials CY 5002
Synthesis Energetics and Dynamics Laboratory - II
Chemistry of Mixing, Separation and analysis CY 5603
Mini projects (proposing coordinator) CY 5105
1. Ms. Jiji M (M.Sc, Kannur University, Registered for part-time Ph.D. in 2017)
2. Mr. Rajendran (M.Sc, The Gandhigram Rural Institute for full-time Ph.D. in 2018)
3. Ms. M. Roshni (M.Sc, Madras University for full time Ph.D in 2020)
1. Mr. Deepak Krishnan (M.Sc, Central University of Tamil Nadu, SERB-CRG/2020)
M.Sc project students (IIT Palakkad)
1. Ms. Jyoti Yadav (Batch 2019)
2. Mr. Ankit Tiwari (Batch 2019)
K. Rajendran, N. Pandu, C. P. Vinod, T. S. Khan, S. Gupta,* A. Haider And D. Jagadeesan*, CuO as a reactive and reusable reagent for the hydrogenation of nitroarenes, App. Cat. B: Environmental, 2021, 297, 120417, 10.1016/j.apcatb.2021.120417.
- D. Vernekar, S. S. Sakate, C. V. Rode* And D. Jagadeesan*, Water-enhanced surface basicity in gamma - FeO(OH) for the synthesis of pseudoionones and their analogues, Journal of Catalysis., 378, 80 - 89 (2019), DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2019.08.026.
- D. Jagadeesan*, D. Vernekar, S. Gupta And G. Jaiswal New opportunities in heterogeneous catalysis, Proceedings of Indian National Science Academy, 85 (1), 24 -41 (2019), Invited article.
- D. Nagaraju,* S. Gupta, D. Kumar, C. Jijil, S. Bhat, D. Jagadeesan* And S. B. Ogale* Room temperature activation of CO by dual defect stabilized nanoscale haematite: Concurrent role of Fe and O vacancies, ACS Omega., 2, 8407 - 8413 (2017), DOI: 10.1021/acsomega.7b01505.
- G. Jaiswal, V. Landge, D. Jagadeesan* And E. Balaraman*, Iron-based Nanocatalyst for the Acceptorless Dehydrogenation Reactions, Nature Communications., 8:2147 (2017), DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-01603-3.
- Gupta, V. K. Jain And D. Jagadeesan*, Fine tuning the composition and nanostructure of Fe-based core-shell nanocatalyst for efficient CO2 hydrogenation, ChemNanoMat., 2, 989 - 996 (2016), DOI:10.1002/cnma.201600234.
- D. Jagadeesan*, Multifunctional nanocatalysts for tandem reactions: A leap toward sustainability, Applied Catalysis A: General., 511, 59 - 77 (2016), DOI:10.1016/j.apcata.2015.11.033 (Highlighted in CHemInform - Applied Chemistry, (2016), DOI: 10.100//chin.201612296).
- D. Vernekar And D.Jagadeesan*, Tunable acid-base bifunctional catalytic activity of FeOOH in an orthogonal tandem reaction, Catalysis Science and Technology., 5, 4029 - 4038 (2015), DOI:10.1039/C5CY00361J.
- S. Gupta, C. P. Vinod And D. Jagadeesan*, Preparation of mesoporous titanosilicate with isolated Ti active centers for cyclohexene oxidation, RSC Advances., 5, 92371 - 92377 (2015), DOI:10.1039/C5RA18044A.
- D. Jagadeesan* B. Joshi And P. Parameswaran, Chemical utilization of CO2 – A challenge for the sustainable world, Resonance., 20, 165 - 176 (2015)
- Intrinsically fluorescent carbon nanospheres and a process thereof. R. Selvi, D. Jagadeesan, T. K. Kundu and M. Eswaramoorthy, US Patent No. 9,034,387 Other Patent publication numbers: WO2009044410, EP2205225.
- Magnetically separable Fe based heterogeneous catalysts for dehydrogenation of alcohols. G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan, S. P. Borikar and E. Balaraman. Provisional application filed: 1494/DEL/2015 dated 26.5.2015.
- Dehydrogenation of amines to imines and N-heterocylces with liberation of molecular hydrogen using heterogeneous Fe catalyst . G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan, S. P. Borikar and E. Balaraman. Provisional application filed: US 15/576,903 dated 11.12.2015.