2000 - 2003 BSc (Chemistry) Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, India.
2003 - 2005 MSc (Chemistry) Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, India
2005 - 2009 Ph.D Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India.
2009 - 2011 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Toronto, Canada.
2011 - 2013 Visiting Research Associate, International Centre for Materials Science, Bangalore, India.
2013 - 2017 Ramanujan Fellow (Scientist), CSIR - National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
2017 Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad, India.
Memberships in Professional Bodies
Honorary faculty, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, New Delhi.
Life member, Catalysis Society of India.
Ontario Postdoctoral Fellowship from Government of Ontario, Canada.
Ramanujan Fellowship from Government of India.
Details of Research Projects
- Design of new heterogeneous catalysts to improve the selectivity of high-temperature, gas-phase reactions, SERB, 2013 - 2018, INR 86.81 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Completed
- CO2 fixation for direct glycerol carbonate synthesis over heterogeneous co-operative catalysts, GAIL, 2014-2016, INR 190.25 Lakhs. (Role Co-PI). Status: Completed
- Thermal decomposition of inorganic carbonates containing transition metal ions in H2 to produce higher hydrocarbons and methanol selectively, SERB, 2014 - 2017, INR 23.4 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Completed.
- New chemical synthesis routes for nanostructured transition metal carbide catalysts using organic-inorganic hybrid precursors, BRNS, 2015 - 2017, INR 21.3 Lakhs. (Role PI). Status: Transferred.
Awards & Recognitions
INSA medal for Young Scientists 2017 (Chemical Sciences) from Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
Selected as a member to Indian National Young Academy of Sciences, New Delhi (2019 - 2024).
- Department of Chemistry, IISER Bhopal, March, 2016.
- Chemical Frontiers - 2017 (Organized by Sheiq Saqr Laboratory, ICMS, Bangalore & IIT Bombay), August 2017.
- Department of Chemistry, IIT Bombay, August 2017.
- HEAM Scientist 2018 (Hydrogen Energy and Advanced Materials), University of Kerala, March 2018.
- National Conference on Challenges in Energy and Environmental Applications, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode, March 2018.
- Emerging Frontiers in Chemical Sciences, Farook College, Kozhikode, November 2018.
- Department of Chemistry, Central University of Tamil Nadu, April 2015.
- Department of Chemistry, National Institute of Technology - Tiruchirapalli, April 2015.
- Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences, Bangalore, August 2015.
- SRM Research Institute, Chennai, April 2015.
- School of Chemical and Biotechnology, SASTRA University, Thanjavur., December 2016.
- Title: Fine-tuning the Fe based core-shell nanocatalyst for efficient CO2 hydrogenation, S. Gupta, V. K. Jain and D. Jagadeesan, Energy Innovations - Today & Tomorrow, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited - Green R&D Centre, Bangalore, 2016.
- Title: Hydrogenation of inorganic carbonates - A potential route to recycle carbon, Workshop on Frontiers in Chemistry - From Molecules to Materials, D. Jagadeesan, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, February 2016.
- Title: Fe nanoparticles supported on graphene - Probing the active site inefficient dehydrogenation reactions, G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan and E. Balaraman, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Magnetic nanoparticles as spacers for tunable enhancements in surface plasmon-coupled emission, S. Venkatesh, D. Vernekar, D. Jagadeesan and R. Sai Sathish, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Fe3O4@carbon core-shell nanoparticles for selective hydrogenation of CO2 at ambient pressure, V. K. Jain, S. Gupta and D. Jagadeesan, International Conference in Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT 2016), Pune, 2016.
- Title: Metal Oxyhydroxides for efficient acid-base tandem reactions, D. Vernekar and D. Jagadeesan, International Conference on Frontiers in Applied Chemistry, 2016.
- Title: Novel solution processes for advanced materials, D. Nagaraju, S. Gupta, D. Jagadeesan and S.B. Ogale, 9th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies (Materials Research Society - Singapore), June 2017.
Theoretical and Inorganic Chemistry for B.Tech CY 1010
Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Organic Reactions for B.Tech CY 1020
Experimental Lab course for B.Tech CY 1030
M.Sc and Ph.D
Physical Methods in Chemistry for Ph.D CY 6001
1. Ms. Liya T (M.Sc, University of Calicut, Registered for full-time Ph.D. in 2017)
2. Ms. Jiji M (M.Sc, Kannur University, Registered for part-time Ph.D. in 2017)
3. Mr. Rajendran (M.Sc, The Gandhigram Rural Institute for full-time Ph.D. in 2018)
- D. Vernekar, S. Ratha, C. V. Rode And D. Jagadeesan* Efficient bifunctional reactivity of K-doped CrO(OH) nanosheets: Exploiting the combined role of Cr(III) and surface -OH groups in tandem catalysis, Catalysis Science and Technology (2019), DOI: 10.1039/C8CY02345J accepted.
- D. Jagadeesan*, D. Vernekar, S. Gupta And G. Jaiswal New opportunities in heterogeneous catalysis, Proceedings of Indian National Science Academy (2018), Invited article, accepted.
- D. Nagaraju,* S. Gupta, D. Kumar, C. Jijil, S. Bhat, D. Jagadeesan* And S. B. Ogale* Room temperature activation of CO by dual defect stabilized nanoscale haematite: Concurrent role of Fe and O vacancies, ACS Omega., 2, 8407 - 8413 (2017), DOI: 10.1021/acsomega.7b01505.
- G. Jaiswal, V. Landge, D. Jagadeesan* And E. Balaraman*, Iron-based Nanocatalyst for the Acceptorless Dehydrogenation Reactions, Nature Communications., 8:2147 (2017), DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-01603-3.
- S. Ratha, D. Vernekar, K. Sivaneri, D. Jagadeesan* And C. S. Rout*, Iron-carbon nanocomposite as environmentally benign electrode for supercapacitor applications, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry., 21, 1665 - 1674 (2017), DOI:10.1007/s10008-017-3537-z.
- S. Gupta, V. K. Jain And D. Jagadeesan*, Fine tuning the composition and nanostructure of Fe-based core-shell nanocatalyst for efficient CO2 hydrogenation, ChemNanoMat., 2, 989 - 996 (2016), DOI:10.1002/cnma.201600234.
- G. Jaiswal, V. Landge, D. Jagadeesan* And E. Balaraman*, Sustainable Iron-catalyzed direct imine formation by acceptorless dehydrogenative coupling of alcohols with amines, Green Chemistry., 18, 3232 - 3238 (2016), DOI:10.1039/C6GC00565A (Highlighted in CHemInform - Ketone Derivatives, 2016 DOI: 10.1002/chin.201642163).
- D. Jagadeesan*, Multifunctional nanocatalysts for tandem reactions: A leap toward sustainability, Applied Catalysis A: General., 511, 59 - 77 (2016), DOI:10.1016/j.apcata.2015.11.033 (Highlighted in CHemInform - Applied Chemistry, (2016), DOI: 10.100//chin.201612296).
- S. Venkatesh, D. Vernekar, G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan* And R. Sai Sathish*, Earth Abundant Iron-rich N-doped Graphene Based Spacer and Cavity Materials for Surface Plasmon-Coupled Emission Enhancements, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces., 8, 12324 - 12329 (2016), DOI:10.1021/acsami.5b12038.
- D. Vernekar And D.Jagadeesan*, Tunable acid-base bifunctional catalytic activity of FeOOH in an orthogonal tandem reaction, Catalysis Science and Technology., 5, 4029 - 4038 (2015), DOI:10.1039/C5CY00361J.
- S. Gupta, C. P. Vinod And D. Jagadeesan*, Preparation of mesoporous titanosilicate with isolated Ti active centers for cyclohexene oxidation, RSC Advances., 5, 92371 - 92377 (2015), DOI:10.1039/C5RA18044A.
- D. Jagadeesan* B. Joshi And P. Parameswaran, Chemical utilization of CO2 – A challenge for the sustainable world, Resonance., 20, 165 - 176 (2015).
- D. Jagadeesan, Y. Sundarayya, G. Madras And C. N. R. Rao, Direct conversion of inorganic carbonates to C1 – C3 hydrocarbons, RSC Advances., 3, 7224 - 7229 (2013), DOI:10.1039/c3ra40264a.
- W. Li, K. Liu, R. Simms, J. Greener, D. Jagadeesan, S. Sascha, A. Guenther And E. Kumacheva, A microfluidic study of fast gas-liquid reactions, Journal of American Chemical Society., 134, 3127 - 3133 (2012).
- D. Voicu, C. Scholl, W. Li, D. Jagadeesan, I. Nasimova, J. Greener And E. Kumacheva, Kinetics of multicomponent polymerization reactions studied in a microfluidic format, Macromolecules., 45, 4469 - 4475 (2012).
- B. R. Selvi, S. Chatterjee, D. Jagadeesan, P. Chathurbedy, B. S. Suma, M. Eswaramoorthy And T. K. Kundu, ATP driven clathrin dependent entry of carbon nanospheres prefer cells with glucose receptors, Journal of Nanobiotechnology., 10:35, (2012), DOI:10.1186/1477-3155-10-35.
- D. Jagadeesan And M. Eswaramoorthy, Nanobiomaterials for therapeutic drug delivery, Chapter 12, CRC Handbook on Nanobiomaterials. (Taylor and Francis Publishers)., , (2011), DOI:ISBN 978-1-4200-9466-4.
- D. Jagadeesan, I. Nasimova, I. Gourevich, S. Starodubtsev And E. Kumacheva, Microgels for the encapsulation and stimulus-responsive release of molecules with distinct polarities, Macromolecular Bioscience., 11, 889 - 896 (2011).
- N. Kumar, D. Jagadeesan, P. B. Pillai, M. Checko, A. Sundaresan And M. Eswaramoorthy, Emergence of ferromagnetism in hollow spheres of non-magnetic inorganic materials, Chemical Physics Letters., 504, 189 - 192 (2011).
- K. K. R. Datta, D. Jagadeesan, C. Kulkarni, A. Kamath, R. Datta And M. Eswaramoorthy, Observation of pore-switching behaviour in porous layered carbon through mesoscale order-disorder transformation, Angewandte Chemie International Edition., 50, 3929 - 3933 (2011).
- D. Jagadeesan And M. Eswaramoorthy, Functionalised Carbon Nanomaterials derived from Carbohydrates, Chemistry – An Asian Journal, (Focus Review)., 5, 232 - 243 (2010), DOI:(Highlighted in CHemInform - Applied Chemistry, 2010 DOI: 10.1002/chin.201017273).
- P. Chaturbedy, D. Jagadeesan And M. Eswaramoorthy, pH sensitive breathing of clay sheets in the polymer matrix, ACS Nano., 4, 5921 - 5929 (2010).
- J. I. Park, D. Jagadeesan, R. Williams, W. Oakden, S. Chung, G. Stanisz And E. Kumacheva, Microbubbles loaded with nanoparticles: A route to multiple imaging modalities, ACS Nano., 4, 6579 - 6586 (2010).
- D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy And C. N. R. Rao, Investigations on the conversion of inorganic carbonates to methane, ChemSusChem., 9, 878 - 882 (2009).
- D. Jagadeesan, C. Deepak, S. Kavitha, M. S. Inamdar And M. Eswaramoorthy, Carbon spheres assisted synthesis of porous bioactive glass containing hydroxycarbonate apatite nanocrystals: A material with high in vitro bioactivity, Journal of Physical Chemistry C., 112, 7379 - 7384 (2008).
- K. Raidongia, D. Jagadeesan, M. Upadhyay-Kahalay, U. V. Waghmare, S. K. Pati, M. Eswaramoorthy And C. N. R. Rao,Synthesis, Structure and Properties of homogeneous BC4N nanotube brushes, Journal of Materials Chemistry., 18, 83 - 90 (2008).
- B. R. Selvi, D. Jagadeesan, G. Nagshankar, B. S. Suma, M. Arif, K. Balasubramanyam, M. Eswaramoorthy And T. K. Kundu, Intrinsically fluorescent carbon nanospheres as nucleus targeting vector: Delivery of membrane impermeable molecule to modulate gene expressions in vivo, Nano Letters., 8, 3182 - 3188 (2008).
- D. Jagadeesan, U. Mansoori, P. Mandal, A. Sundaresan And M. Eswaramoorthy, Hollow spheres to nanocups: Tuning the morphology and the magnetic properties of ?-Fe2O3 nanostructures, Angewandte Chemie International Edition., 47, 7685 - 7688 (2008).
- S. Pal, D. Jagadeesan, K. L. Gurunatha, M. Eswaramoorthy And T. Maji, Construction of bi-functional inorganic-organic hybrid nanocomposites, Journal of Materials Chemistry., 18, 5448 - 5451 (2008).
- D. Jagadeesan, M. Eswaramoorthy And C. N. R. Rao, Use of amorphous carbon nanotube brushes as templates to fabricate GaN nanotubes brushes and related materials, Journal of Physical Chemistry C., 111, 510 - 513 (2007).
- Intrinsically fluorescent carbon nanospheres and a process thereof. R. Selvi, D. Jagadeesan, T. K. Kundu and M. Eswaramoorthy, US Patent No. 9,034,387 Other Patent publication numbers: WO2009044410, EP2205225.
- Magnetically separable Fe based heterogeneous catalysts for dehydrogenation of alcohols. G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan, S. P. Borikar and E. Balaraman. Provisional application filed: 1494/DEL/2015 dated 26.5.2015.
- Dehydrogenation of amines to imines and N-heterocylces with liberation of molecular hydrogen using heterogeneous Fe catalyst . G. Jaiswal, D. Jagadeesan, S. P. Borikar and E. Balaraman. Provisional application filed: US 15/576,903 dated 11.12.2015.