Prof. Jagadeesh Bayry is a graduate of Veterinary Medicine from Bangalore (1996) with a specialization of Virology and Immunology from Indian Veterinary Research Institute (1999). He received PhD from Sorbonne University Paris in 2003 and following post-doctoral research at University of Oxford, he joined Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM), Paris, France in 2006 as a faculty. In 2018, he was promoted as a Director of Research at INSERM. In 2021, he joined IIT PKD as a Professor of Biological Sciences and Engineering. His research is aimed at fundamental Immunology, immunotherapy and host-pathogen interaction. His h-index is 62 and he has authored more than 275 articles with over 12,500 citations. He has received fellowship from the Academy of Translational Medicine Professionals (FAcadTM), Austria. Prof. Bayry serves as an Editor, Associate Editor or Editorial Board member of various journals and has edited four books from Springer Publisher. He is also member of a commission at the European Research Council (ERC).
- Frontiers in Immunology (2015- present): Frontiers Publisher: Section- Molecular Innate Immunity. Impact Factor : 5.085. http://journal.frontiersin.org/journal/immunology#editorial-board
- VirusDisease (2011- present): Springer-Nature Publisher. http://www.springer.com/life+sciences/microbiology/journal/13337?detailsPage=editorialBoard
- Scientific Reports (2012- present): Nature Publishing Group: Impact Factor: 3.998. http://www.nature.com/srep/eap-ebm/index.html#immunology
- Journal of Immunology research (2018- present): Hindawi Publisher: Impact Factor: 3.327. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/editors/
- PLoS ONE (2011- present): Public Library Science Publisher: Impact Factor: 2.740. http://www.plosone.org/static/edboard.action
- Mediators of Inflammation (2015- present): Hindawi Publisher: Impact Factor: 3.758. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mi/editors/
- Cell Stress (2019- present): Shared Science Publishers OG: https://www.cell-stress.com/about-us/editorial-boar
Editor FOR BOOKs
- 2014. Editor, The TNF superfamily: Methods and Protocols, Book series ‘Methods in Molecular Biology’. Humana Press, USA (Springer publishing group). http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4939-0669-7
- 2017. Editors (J Bayry and SV Kaveri), Natural antibodies: Methods and Protocols, Book series ‘Methods in Molecular Biology’. Springer-Nature publishing group. http://www.springer.com/us/book/9781493971794
- 2017. Editor, Emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases of livestock. Springer-Nature publishing group. http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319474243
- 2021. Editor, The TNF superfamily: Methods and Protocols, Second Edition. Book series ‘Methods in Molecular Biology’ (Springer-Nature publishing group) https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-1-0716-1130-2
Editorial Board Member
- Cellular & Molecular Immunology (2010- present): Nature Publishing Group: Impact Factor: 8.484. http://www.nature.com/cmi/about/index.html
- Clinical and Vaccine Immunology (2014-2017): American Society for Microbiology Publisher: Impact Factor: 3.233. http://cvi.asm.org/site/misc/edboard.xhtml
- Immunotherapy (2012- present): Future Medicine Publisher: Impact Factor: 2.964 http://www.futuremedicine.com/page/journal/imt/editors.jsp
- Antibodies (2012- present): MDPI publisher. http://www.mdpi.com/journal/antibodies/editors
- Front Cell infect Microbiol (2019-20) Frontiers Publisher. Impact Factor: 4.123. For a Research topic on ‘The Fungal Cell Wall: Dynamics And Role In Host-Fungal Interaction’ https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/9384/the-fungal-cell-wall-dynamics-and-role-in-host-fungal-interaction
- Pharmaceuticals (2010-2011) MDPI publisher. Impact Factor: 4.286. For a special issue ‘Monoclonal Antibody’ http://www.mdpi.com/journal/pharmaceuticals/special_issues/monoclonal-antibody.
Editorial advisory board
- Sci (2018- present): MDPI publisher. http://www.mdpi.com/journal/sci/editor
- Das M, Karnam A, Stephen-Victor E, Gilardin L, Bhatt B, Sharma VK, Rambabu N, Patil V, Lecerf M, Käsermann F, Bruneval P, Balaji K, Benveniste O, Kaveri SV and Bayry J. 2020. Intravenous immunoglobulin mediates anti-inflammatory effects in peripheral blood mononuclear cells by inducing autophagy. Cell Death Dis. 11: 50.
- Galeotti C and Bayry J. 2020. Autoimmune and inflammatory diseases following COVID-19. Nature Rev Rheumatol 16:413-414.
- Galeotti C, Stephen-Victor E, Karnam A, Das M, Gilardin L, Maddur MS, Wymann S, Vonarburg C, Chevailler A, Dimitrov JD, Benveniste O, Bruhns P, Kaveri SV and Bayry J. 2019. Intravenous immunoglobulin induces IL-4 in human basophils by signaling through surface-bound IgE. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 144: 524-535.
- Das M, Alzaid F and Bayry J. 2019. Regulatory T cells under the mercy of mitochondia. Cell Metab. 29: 243-245.
- Sharma M, Das M, Stephen-Victor E, Galeotti C, Karnam A, Maddur MS, Bruneval P, Kaveri SV and Bayry J. 2018. Regulatory T cells induce activation rather than suppression of human basophils. Science Immunology 3: eaan0829.
- Stephen-Victor E, Karnam A, Fontaine T, Beauvais A, Das M, Hegde P, Prakhar P, Holla S, Balaji KN, Kaveri SV, Latgé JP, Aimanianda V and Bayry J. 2017. Aspergillus fumigatus cell wall α-(1,3)-glucan stimulates regulatory T cell polarization by inducing PD-L1 expression on human dendritic cells. J Infect Dis. 216:1281-1294.
- Maddur MS, Kaveri SV and Bayry J. 2017. Circulating normal IgG as stimulator of regulatory T cells: lessons from intravenous immunoglobulin. Trends Immunol. 38:789-792.
- Bayry J. 2016. Repressing immunity in autoimmune disease. N Engl J Med. 374:2090-2092.
- Maddur MS, Sharma M, Hegde P, Stephen-Victor E, Pulendran B, Kaveri SV and Bayry J. 2014. Human B cells induce dendritic cell maturation and favour Th2 polarization by inducing OX-40 ligand. Nature Commun. 5: Article number 4092.
- Trinath J, Hegde P, Sharma M, Maddur MS, Rabin M, Vallat JM, Magy L, Balaji KN, Kaveri SV* and Bayry J. 2013. Intravenous immunoglobulin expands regulatory T cells via induction of cyclooxygenase-2-dependent prostaglandin E2 in human dendritic cells. Blood 122:1419-1427.
- Maddur MS, Vani J, Hegde P, Lacroix-Desmazes S, Kaveri S* and Bayry J. 2011. Inhibition of differentiation, amplification, and function of human TH17 cells by intravenous immunoglobulin. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 127:823-830.
- Aimanianda V*, Bayry J*, Bozza S, Kniemeyer O, Perruccio K, Elluru SR, Clavaud C, Paris S, Brakhage AA, Kaveri SV, RomaniL and LatgéJP. 2009. Surface hydrophobin prevents immune recognition of airborne fungal spores. Nature. 460: 1117-1121.
- Bayry J, Tchilian EZ, Davies MN, Forbes EK, Draper SJ, Kaveri S, Hill AVS, Kazatchkine MD, Beverley PCL, Flower DR and Tough DF. 2008. In silico identified CCR4 antagonists target regulatory T cells and exert adjuvant activity in vaccination. Proc Natl Acad Sci. USA. 105: 10221-10226.
- Bayry J, Triebel F, Kaveri SV and Tough DF. 2007. Human dendritic cells acquire a semimature phenotype and lymph node homing potential through interaction with CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells. J Immunol. 178: 4184-4193.
- Bayry J, Lacroix-Desmazes S, Donkova-Petrini V, Carbonneil C, Misra N, Lepelletier Y, Delignat S,Varambally S, Oksenhendler E, Lévy Y, Debré M, Kazatchkine MD, Hermine O, and Kaveri SV. 2004. Natural antibodies sustain differentiation and maturation of human dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci. USA. 101: 14210-14215.
- Bayry J, Lacroix-Desmazes S, Kazatchkine MD, Galicier L, Lepelletier Y, Webster D, Lévy, Y, Eibl MM, Oksenhendler E, Hermine O and Kaveri SV. 2004. Common variable immunodeficiency is associated with defective functions of dendritic cells. Blood 104: 2441-2443.
- Bayry J,Lacroix-Desmazes S,Carbonneil C,Misra N,Donkova V,Pashov A, Chevailler A, Mouthon L, Weill B,Bruneval P,Kazatchkine MD and Kaveri SV. 2003. Inhibition of maturation and function of dendritic cells by intravenous immunoglobulin. Blood 101: 758-765.
- Bayry J, Lacroix-Desmazes S,Delignat S, Mouthon L, Weill B,Kazatchkine MD and Kaveri SV. 2003. Intravenous immunoglobulin abrogates dendritic cell differentiation induced by IFN-a present in serum from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 48: 3497-3502.
- Lacroix-Desmazes S, Bayry J, Misra N, Horn MP, Villard S, Pashov A, Stieltjes N, d'Oiron R, Saint-Remy JM, Hoebeke J, Kazatchkine MD and Kaveri SV. 2002. The prevalence of proteolytic antibodies against factor VIII in hemophilia A. N Engl J Med. 346: 662-667.
- Bayry J, Prabhudas K, Bist P, Reddy GR and Suryanarayana VV. 1999. Immuno affinity purification of foot and mouth disease virus type specific antibodies using recombinant protein adsorbed to polystyrene wells. J Virol Methods 81: 21-30.
- Immunogenic composition. DR Flower, DF Tough, J Bayry, MN Davies and EZ Tchillian. World Intellectual Property Organization patent n° WO2009150433. Univ Oxford, 17th Dec 2009.
- Inhibition of the anti-FVIII immune response. SV Kaveri, S Lacroix-Desmazes, J Bayry, S Dasgupta and C Abdessatar. World Intellectual Property Organization patent n° WO2007071850. INSERM-LFB, 28 June 2007.
- Inhibition of the anti-FVIII immune response. SV Kaveri, S Lacroix-Desmazes, J Bayry, S Dasgupta and C Abdessatar. European patent n° EP1976875. INSERM-LFB, 8 October 2008.
- Demannosylated recombinant factor VIII for the treatment of patients with hemophilia A. C Abdessatar, S Lacroix-Desmazes, SV Kaveri, S Dasgupta and J Bayry. World Intellectual Property Organization patent n° WO2008129422. INSERM-LFB, 30 October 2008.
- Inhibition of the anti-FVIII immune response. SV Kaveri, S Lacroix-Desmazes, J Bayry, S Dasgupta and C Abdessatar. US patent n° US20090317373. INSERM-LFB, 24 December 2009.
- Demannosylated recombinant factor VIII for the treatment of patients with hemophilia A. C Abdessatar, S Lacroix-Desmazes, SV Kaveri, S Dasgupta and J Bayry. US patent n° US20100197578 A1. INSERM-LFB, 5 August 2010.
- Demannosylated recombinant factor VIII for the treatment of patients with hemophilia A. C Abdessatar, S Lacroix-Desmazes, SV Kaveri, S Dasgupta and J Bayry. European patent n° EP1985631. INSERM-LFB, 29 October 2010.
- Immunogenic composition. DR Flower, DF Tough, J Bayry, MN Davies and EZ Tchillian. European patent n° EP2303324. Univ Oxford, 6 April 2011.
- Method of prognosing the outcome of acquired hemophilia and of treatment of hemophilia. S Lacroix-Desmazes, SV Kaveri, B Wootla, J Bayry. World Intellectual Property Organization patent n° WO2011080322. INSERM, 7 July 2011.
- Immunogenic composition. DR Flower, DF Tough, J Bayry, MN Davies and EZ Tchillian. US patent n° US20110171261. Univ Oxford, 14 July 2011.
2020: Featured in the list of top 2% scientists in the world (PLoS Biology 2020) (https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3000918)
2018-21: Excellency Award by INSERM for Research and Mentoring Doctoral fellows
2014-17: Excellency Award by INSERM for Research and Mentoring Doctoral fellows
2017: The Clinical and Vaccine Immunol (Amercian Society for Microbiology Press) Reviewer Hall of Fame
2016-18: Fellowship of Academy of Translational Medicine Professionals FAcadTM, Vienna, Austria
2016: ‘Sentinels of Science’ Award by Publons
2010-13:Scientific Excellency Award by INSERM
2009:eSPIN (European Scientific Progress - Immunoglobulins in Neurology): a European Award by Talecris Biotherapeutics, Germany
2006: Post-doc fellowship by LEEM Recherche: Les entreprises du médicament, France
2004-06: Post-doctoral Fellowship by the Edward Jenner Institute for Vaccine Research, University of Oxford, UK
2003-04:Post-doctoral Fellowship by INSERM, France
2003:New Investigator Travel Award from The Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies, FOCIS
2003:Travel Award to attend the 5th International Symposium on Intravenous Immunoglobulin, Switzerland
2002-03:PhD Fellowship by Fondation de la Recherche Médicale, France
2000-02:PhD Fellowship by Ministère de la Recherche et de l’Education, France
1996-99:Junior Research Fellowship in Veterinary Microbiology by Indian Council of Agricultural Research, India
1989-96: National Merit Scholarship by Govt. of India