Before joining IIT Palakkad as a faculty, Dr. Ankesh Kumar worked as Assistant Professor in the Geotechnical Division, Department of Civil Engineering, SVNIT Surat (from Oct 2019 to Dec 2022).
B. Tech in Civil Engineering from NIT Trichy.
M.Tech in Rock Engineering and Underground Structures from IIT Delhi.
Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering from IIT Delhi.
Rock Engineering, Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics, Underground Structures, Blast/Impact Loading, Petrology, Numerical Methods, Slope stability (rock/soil), and Machine foundation.
Courses at SVNIT Surat
Ms. Geetanjali Lohar (Ongoing at SVNIT)
Mr. Chappidi Srinivas (Ongoing at SVNIT)
Ms. Kanchan S Patil (Ongoing at SVNIT)
M.Tech. Students at SVNIT
Mr. Ravindra Kumar Burnwal (2021)
Mr. Rapan Chandan Hrishikesh (2021)
Mr. Poralla Venkata Satheesh (2022)
Mr. M Naveen (2022)
Mr. Shashank Shekhar Chaubey (2022)
Mr. Vikram Ramesh Garasiya (2022)
Mr. Mitulkumar Rao (Ongoing)
Mr. Rohan Singh (Ongoing)
Mr. Ajil B S (Ongoing)
Ms. Vrutika Patelwala (Ongoing)
B.Tech Students at SVNIT
Mr. Vasu Goyal (2021)
Mr. Sanjay Rai Verma (2021)
Mr. Shubham Parmar (2021)
Mr. Shivam Garg (2022)
Mr. Chirag Bhutra (2022)
Mr. Himanshu Rajoria (2022)
- IGS – HEICO Prize for the best paper on “Rock Mechanics” published in Indian Geotechnical Journal
- Life Member - Indian Geotechnical Society
- Life Member of IGS – Delhi Chapter
- Member - The Institution of Engineers (India)
- Affiliate Member - ASCE
- Reviewer of Indian Geotechnical Journal, Geosynthetics International, Geomechanics and Engineering, J. Geological Society of India, SN Applied Sciences, Scientific Reports – Nature, and Shock and Vibration - Hindawi, Arabian Journal of Geosciences
ASCE (Geo - Institute) Technical Committee Member
- Underground Engineering and Construction TC
- Rock Mechanics TC
ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS AND RESEARCH ACTIVITIES :
- Laboratory In-charge – Geotechnical Engineering Lab, Rock Mechanics Lab, and Geology and Geophysical Lab at SVNIT
- Warden :- Gajjar Bhavan SVNIT
- Joint Organizing Secretary for Indian Geotechnical Conference 2019 at SVNIT Surat.
- Co-ordinator for “Advances in Geotechnical Engineering” TEQIP III sponsored STTP – 2020
- Co-ordinator for “Metro-Rail Construction and Management” TEQIP III sponsored STTP – 2020
- Delivered Expert Lecture in training programme for WAPCOS on "Analysis, Design and Construction of Tunnels and Underground Structures" from 6th to 12th January 2020
- Delivered Expert Lecture in Workshop for IRCON and Indian Railways on “Tunnelling in Himalayas” at IIT Jammu (2017)
- Successfully completed 1 week LARAM 2020 course organised at IIT Roorkee
- Workshop for KONKAN Railways on “Tunnelling in Himalayas” at IIT Delhi (2013)
- Workshop for IRCON and Indian Railways on “Tunnelling in Himalayas” at IIT Jammu (2017)
- Worked on Large Scale Direct Shear testing of jointed rocks for Anjikhad Rail Link Project (IRCON)
- Numerical Simulation of Delhi metro tunnel under blast loads
- Involved in the Development of Impact Testing Facility and Creep Testing Facility at IIT Delhi
- Member of Organising Committee for IMPLAST 2022 conference at IIT Madras
- Ankesh Kumar, Bappaditya Manna, and K. S. Rao. "Dynamic response of block foundations resting on soil–rock and rock–rock system under vertical excitation." Indian Geotechnical Journal , pp 83-95, Vol 43, no. 1, 2013.
- Renuka Darshyamkar, Ankesh Kumar, and Bappaditya Manna. "Investigation of block foundations resting on soil–rock and rock–rock media under coupled vibrations." Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, pp 305-317, Vol 9, no. 2, 2017.
- Swapnil Mishra, K. S. Rao, N. K. Gupta, and Ankesh Kumar. "Damage to Shallow Tunnels under Static and Dynamic Loading."Procedia Engineering, pp 1322-1329, Vol 173, 2017.
- Swapnil Mishra, K. S. Rao, N. K. Gupta, and Ankesh Kumar. "Damage to shallow tunnels in different geomaterials under static and dynamic loading." Thin-Walled Structures, pp 138-149, Vol 126, May 2018.
- Rohan Dhamne, Swapnil Mishra, Ankesh Kumar, and K. S. Rao. “Numerical study of the cross-sectional shape of shallow tunnels subjected to impact and blast loading.” Journal of Engineering Geology, A bi-annual Journal of ISEG, pp 23-38, Volume XLIII, Nos. 1 & 2, 2018.
- Nishant Roy, Shiv Dayal Bharti, and Ankesh Kumar. "Seismic isolation of tunnels in blocky rock mass using expanded polystyrene (EPS) Geofoam." Innovative Infrastructure Solutions. Pp1-38, Vol 4 (1), 2019.
- Mishra, S., Kumar, A., Rao, K. S., & Gupta, N. K. Experimental and numerical investigations of dynamic response of tunnels in soft rock. Structures, vol. 29, pp. 2162-2173. 2021
- Roy, N., Kumar, A., & Rao, K. S. Stability Analysis of Landslide in Tindharia Region, West Bengal, India – A Case Study. Journal of the Geological Society of India. Vol 97, 2021.
- Dhamne, R. R., Mishra, S., Kumar, A., & Rao, K. S. Deformation Behavior of D-Shaped Shallow Tunnels under Dynamic Loading Conditions. Structures. Vol 33, 2021(SCIE, IF- 2.983)
- Aditya Singh, Ankesh Kumar, and K. S. Rao. “Strength Behaviour of Anisotropic Rock Under True Triaxial Stress State. 10th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium, Singapore, 2018.
- K. S. Rao, and Ankesh Kumar. "Engineering behavior of Indian oil shales." Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering: From the Past to the Future, pp 307, 2016
- K. S. Rao, and Ankesh Kumar. "Petrophysical and engineering behavior of oil shale from Assam, India." In Rock Dynamics: From Research to Engineering: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Rock Dynamics and Applications, p. 171. CRC Press, 2016
- E. T. Chala, K. S. Rao, Swapnil Mishra, and Ankesh Kumar. “Geomechanical properties of volcanic rocks from Deccan Traps,India”. VII Brazilian Symposium on Rock Mechanics – SBMR, 2016
- Ankesh Kumar, and K. S. Rao. "Engineering behavior of oil shales at elevated temperature and confining pressure." In 5th Young Indian Geotechnical Engineers Conference. 2015
- Renuka Darshyamkar, Bappaditya Manna, and Ankesh Kumar. "Dynamic Response of Block Foundation Resting on Layered System Under Coupled Vibration." In Advances in Structural Engineering, pp. 1575-1585. Springer, New Delhi, 2015
- A. K. Gautam, Ankesh Kumar, and Bappaditya Manna. “Dynamic Behaviour of Socketed Single Pile in Rocks under Vertical Vibration.” INDOROCK-2014: 5th Indian rock conference. 2014
- A. Kumar, B. Manna, and K. S. Rao. "Behaviour of Block Foundation Resting on Soil-Rock and Rock-Rock Medium Under Vertical Vibration." INDOROCK 2013 At: JUIT Campus, Waknaghat, Himachal Pradesh, Fourth Indian Rock Conference. 2013.
- Burnwal, R. K., & Kumar, A., “Strength behaviour of shale rock subjected to polyaxial stress state: A Numerical Approach”, Geo-Congress 2022